[ale] one last time Galaxy S6 vs Nexus 6

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Mar 30 23:24:24 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-30 17:42, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 03/30/2015 08:11 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>> On 03/30/2015 05:47 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>>> I'm waiting for Samsung to recollect themselves and put the SD slot and
>>> replaceable battery back in.  I don't think they're going to get as many
>>> sales as the S4/S5.
>> neither S6 or Nexus has replaceable battery or SD card..
>
> TL;DR
>
> Battery - not an issue.
> Less tham 32G - issue.
>

> Long version:
>
> Thought the lack of replaceable battery would be an issue - just carry a
> portable USB charger - $20. The Wire Cutter has recommendations. It is actually
> MORE convenient NOT to swap batteries.  I swapped batteries with my N800 for
> years, so I know.
>
> Storage - that's a different issue. I feel cramped inside 16G on the Nexus4
> today.  64G would be nice - more than I need.  On my netbook, I currently use
> 38G - so I could fit in 32G, but it would be nice not to feel that need.
>
> My tablet has a microSD slot which has 16G class10 in it and 16G internal.  It
> hasn't been an issue, but I don't have it full of music - only about 6G, which
> is plenty for a trip. Around the house, just connect to Plex and stream anything
> desired.  Also have a calibre server on the plex PC - handy for ebook/pdf
> management. FBreader will connect, search, download from it easily.

Battery isn't so much for running out during the day, it's so that I can
buy replacements in the future and use the (former) phone for other
purposes later in life rather than sending it to the trash heap.

I suppose at that point I could try to break into the case and pull the
battery but having an already replaceable battery makes the process much
easier.  I'm going to do that when I eventually upgrade my current S4
but I'd like the new one to be able to do the same.

As for the SD card, none of the current batch have enough storage
without paying a significant premium nor is it swappable.  I have 16 GB
in my S4 and a 64 GB card where I store things like music.  The card is
about 60% full right now.  Phones need the SD slot, Apple's cloud idea
that is infecting everyone else is just not going to fly with me.