[ale] 2 wifi issues

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 11:33:09 EDT 2015

On Mar 22, 2015 11:07 AM, "Pete Hardie" <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My Google-fu is weak for these issues:
>
> 1) my son has a Windows 7 laptop, and when he shuts it down, it screws up
the wifi in the house for a few minutes - everything loses connection and
cannot reconnect for a while.

Possibly box is set to share wifi connection with other systems. So it
looks like an access point? Or the power down process dumps garbage to the
radio and that scrambles everything. Very strange. Try shutting down
wireless before power down to see what happens.

Can windows shutdown sequence be altered? I've never had to look at that. I
usually just hold the power button down until it dies. Yeah. I don't care
if the windows stuff works later.

> 2) I hve an el-checpo Azpen 7in tablet, and when it connects with wifi,
my wife complains her laptop wifi is messed up.

I've seen this when cheap device is physically between AP and laptop.
Cheapo eats most of the bandwidth with retransmission due to a crappy
radio. Only fix is a multi spectrum AP and assign cheapo to the 80211b band.

> I was unable to find anything specific about either on the web, but I was
not getting results that even seemed to be similar problems, so I'm asking
for help in either finding a query that gets me answers, or finding out
what I can install and learn about that will let me troubleshoot the issue
directly.