[ale] Recommendations for my next distro?

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 00:09:30 EST 2015

I have not used Gentoo but my observation of Arch derivatives is that by
demanding more of the users they learn more about the system. Ubuntu, by
design, is geared to make life easier for the user and user learns less.
Users this less are comfortable using a more demanding distro than the
typical user.

I would look at two issues: how much the distro demands I know/learn and
how much time/effort am I willing to put in.

Rolling release distros, to me, are closer to what I want; an up-to-date
system across the board. But they currently are more demanding because
of their more aggressive update procedures.