[ale] Recommendations for my next distro?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sun Mar 1 12:46:48 EST 2015

On 03/01/2015 11:36 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 03/01/2015 11:02 AM, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
>> and I do run RHEV at work.  It is quite nice and feature-full, though it is not
>> enterprise ready.  What that means is, it does not cost enough to be worthy of
>> using in the enterprise.  We will not even bring up the cost of Ovirt, which is
>> $0 per server, because, as we all know, there is no such thing as software that
>> costs $0, is there?  And everytime I bring it up, I lose credibility, seriously.
> Ah - I used to work at a place like that.  Had to prove it.  Get a lab, show
> them, prove it.  Then be prepared to be Dir, Sr Dir, VP. ;)  If you don't want
> management - keep silent.

I speak up, I have a lab, I get told to shut up and STOP doing that, a
lot.  Executive Leadership gets it, the middle level does not.

> Many companies THINK openstack is a replacement for a VMware ESXi farm and they
> try to deploy it for that use.  Perhas it is best for hosting VMs you don't care
> much about ... like for web hosting companies and self-service infra?

Kind of.  OpenStack is a place to build (re-design) your existing
offerings to be scalable and on demand to speed up time to market and
hammered by customer traffic).  In todays world, if you are on bare
metal, you are NOT competitive.  Period.  VMware will get you off of
bare metal.  So will RHEV/Ovirt.  But to get you On demand, VMware and
Ovirt/RHEV with ManageIQ/CloudForms will take you so far.  to go any
farther, you need OpenStack.

To fully use OpenStack you can't care about individual servers.  You
care about services offered.  That service can be storage, it can be web
services, middleware, databases, what ever.

The place where vmware-Ovirt/RHEV overlap OpenStack is the rapid
deployment or on demand/chargeback ability.  virtualization cares about
vms.  Cloud cares about services those vms provide.

The difference can be seen in programmers delivering code updates: old
model cared about delivering up the stack a point release.  The new
model would care about delivering features into production services.
Some over lap, but not the same thing at all.

Damon at damtek.com
404-271-8699