[ale] USB3.0 HDD cradles/enclosures

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Jun 19 11:17:49 EDT 2015

On 06/18/2015 06:37 PM, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Hey, any scoop/experience on what's good and/or not-so-good for
> a USB3.0 external HDD cradle?  On recommendation from an ALEr
> a few years ago I got a Thermaltake Duet for USB2.0 & it has
> been quite fine.  Any recommendtions for something like that
> for USB3.0?  As usual, FAQ/doc & FMs to RT are welcome.  :)

I'm still using the Thermaltake Duet, but added a Connectland dual from amazon a
few yrs ago.  The real trick, for me at least, was getting USB3 working under
Linux. Added a 4-port USB3 card, but it didn't work as USB3 until all the USB2
ports on the system were disabled.  Had the same issue with another box that had
8 built-in usb2 ports - hurt to disable those to get 4 USB3 ports, but .... such
are the choices in life.

Also have a few "plugable" devices - the 8port powered bus needed a firmware
update that could only be applied through Windows8 with a USB3 connection. I'm
completely serious!  Not USB2 and not Win7.
The single-port USB3 dock has been ok, not great. Needs to be manually powered
every month or the connection locks up (dmesg goes crazy).  It is my OS backup
drive (about 20 systems), so I notice when it doesn't work.

Honestly, for cheap external storage - NOTHING touches eSATA.  Always choose
that over every other option, if you can.  The Thermaltake Duet is eSATA, so I
didn't feel the need to swap it when USB3 came out - it isn't like spinning
disks will be any faster than eSATA can support, right?