[ale] Toshiba laptop

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Jun 10 16:26:30 EDT 2015

+1 to disabling secureboot.

Also be certain that if you share NTFS partitions from Linux (just mount them in
any way), that you disable fast-boot on the Win8 side. I think that's what it is
called.

If you want to see the real partition layout, boot off a liveCD, then run
sudo parted -l.  That will be the truth.

Sounds like SUSE installed with LVM, so you should also run these commands to
see how the PVs, VGs, and LVs are ...

sudo pvs
sudo vgs
sudo lvs

The Logical Volumes are where all the "action happens" for end users - think of
LVs as "really, really, flexible partitions".

Also, if you choose to encrypt the whole drive, you'll need top know and decrypt
it manually after the live CD is booted using **cryptsetup openLUKS**.

So ... after you ahve all this ready, you can run **sudo update-grub** and grub
will magically find Windows, find SUSE and "do the right thing" almost always.
Sorta.

Anytime Windows installs updates, we risk losing access to grub.  Windows10 Home
users with dual-boot Linux are going to be hating it.  In the last year, MSFT
updates have removed boot from my non-travel laptop twice. Before that, it never
happened, so there is something definitely wrong with MSFT updates these days -
or they are just trying to be mean.

You choose which.

I will not be loading Win10 because the primary reason I still run Windows is TV
recording through media center, which isn't provided after Win7.