[ale] New hard drive procedure

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jun 7 04:38:25 EDT 2015

Fire the idiot that chose to use antiquated technology and a broken OS in a setup built in the last decade in the first place? ;)

No, seriously. SMART is supported by virtually all drives and operating systems, and even system firmware, in the past decade and then some. Not sure why your virtualization solution would have absolutely anything to do with it. Just setup the SMART daemon, which is provided by your distribution and is probably installed (if not activated) by default.

Though on all modern Debian and RH derivatives with a GUI running, and even in server installs on bare metal, it is default. (SMART doesn't make sense *inside* a VM unless you're directly attaching the disk controller from the PCI/PCI-E bus into the VM; otherwise the VM will use a hard disk emulation provided by the hypervisor, which will never have meaningful values since its fictional hardware.)

Sent from my iPhone