[ale] help, windows 7 boot error

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Mon Jan 26 11:39:13 EST 2015

On 01/26/2015 09:47 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 01/26/2015 09:21 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
>> The quickest way to get up on the new drive is to image copy the entire
>> drive, which grabs the bootloader and places all of the partitions in
>> the "right" places.  NTFS partitions have to be restored at the same
>> sector offset if you want them bootable.
> are you saying that even though I made the "new" windows sda3, the same
> as on the old drive it was sda3, if it isn't in the same beginning
> sector it won't work?

Exactly.

Boot from a rescue cd or thumb drive (I use the one from
sysrescuecd.org) and use its 'dd' to duplicate the old drive to the new
one.  Then boot the new drive.  It won't see the new space yet, but you
can verify all the normal functionality.

Then you can resize the partition(s) using your favorite tool to gain
access to the new space.  Or create another partition in the new space
that'll get its own drive letter in Windows.

Phil