[ale] help, windows 7 boot error

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 10:29:21 EST 2015

ok, I know, this is a linux group... but I don't know where else to turn.
My desktop original HD1 stopped booting, so I got a new 3TB drive. I can
still get to the old drive using my new fantastic IED-SATA $10 gizmo..
so I partitioned my "NEW" HD1 so windows is still on sda3 like it was
before, and I copied all the  old files into it. When I boot I am
getting the File: \Boot\BCD error attempting to read Boot
configuration.  on sda3 there is a \Boot\BCD.
When I run my Windows 7 rescue CD it asks for the driver CD which... I
can't find. I have tried downloading all the device driver files from
Dell, but nothing seems to work. It doesn't like the R*.exe files and
every folder that has the drivers in them, I have clicked on every file
and it still tells me error.. What I DON'T have is the driver for the
ST3000DM001 3TB HD.. and the original was a 2TB HD..
when I boot the rescue CD it doesn't show my HD, and wants drivers. If I
click NEXT anyway, then command prompt, I can run :
bootrec /rebuildbcd . It comes back with a "found c:\Windows" use
Y/N/A.. I click Y and.... errors out.

I'm tempted to just install Windows 10 preview. Since I have Windows 7,
it will be a free upgrade. Question is, can you do a dual-boot with
Windows 10?? anyone done that??

--
Paul Cartwright