[ale] RH Satellite 6 moron's intro?

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:05:05 EST 2015

Look, a satellite subscription, like RHEL, is for any version.  You could install Satellite 5 and have a much smoother install experience, user experience, and copious, well written and updated documentation.  In fact, Red Hat just released another dot update to satellite 5.  However, you chose the new hotness, and with that choice comes all the stuff you're complaining about.

Red Hat is not alone in this.  The more people you put your stuff in front of, the more flaws are exposed in the product.  That's how the software industry functions.  The days of developers locking themselves in a room and coming out years later with a super polished product with lovely documentation are over.  Release early, release often is a mantra I hear all the time, and it means that if you want the bleeding edge, often you're the one doing the bleeding.

I hate to say it, but if you expect a great experience from a new (marketing speak for immature) product, you're going to live a life of constant frustration and disappointment.

.1 will be a significant improvement and .2 will look a lot more like your expectations.

As for docs, I don't know what's going on over there.  Hell, if you look at the admin guide for RHEL 7, the flagship product, the section on iscsi still talks about configuring tgtd, which doesn't ship with RHEL 7...

-Scott