[ale] rsync without ssh quick tutorial

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jan 20 16:36:30 EST 2015

It's been on my todo list for a little bit. I do know what you mean, though. I was just getting happy that I no longer need to consult the iptables man pages with uncommon usages anymore. :)

However, as with so many other things in the forward march of time, it will be better to know. One tool with a very small, generic, and secure implementation in the kernel, instead of tens of thousands of duplicated lines of code which can be controlled using a command line utility or netlink socket, and relies an your knowledge of little more than the requirements expressed as packet processing instructions.

For example, if you want to prohibit all (unencapsulated) IPv4 traffic, you just drop packets that show a version 4 IP header. No more custom kernel modules going up to layer 7, and no more upgrading the kernel to upgrade the firewall capabilities.

Sent from my iPad