[ale] Still using plain FTP? Why?

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Mon Jan 19 11:21:19 EST 2015

Got a client with a remote client that wants to use ftp over a VPN to move HIPAA data. Apparently they don't know what sftp is.

The web development tool that apple ships their crap with used ftp by default not long ago (2012). It actually used sftp but would fall back to plain text ftp if the sftp connection was not available. Of course when I saw it, it gave the user NO indication it was in an insecure mode.

On January 19, 2015 9:22:38 AM EST, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
>For folks using plain FTP still, I'd like to know why?
>
>We all know it isn't secure and should have been removed from offers in
>the
>1990s (along with telnet).
>
>So, if you are still using plain FTP, why?

Jim Kinney
Linux Systems Analyst
Physicist/Brewer
http://jimkinney.us