[ale] OT: Arduino

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jan 14 10:37:25 EST 2015

On 01/14/2015 08:52 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Speaking of USB FTDI cable. Can I use RS232 to TTL cable instead.

Carefully, yes.  If this board is a 5V board and your cable is 5V then
maybe.  The specs on the board show it's a 3.3 V part but the reviews
indicate it's 5V so  check to be sure.

A special USB FTDI cable that is commonly used with the Arduino hw/sw
had a control pin that does a reset of the Arduino when you start a
download.   If you don't wire it up right or if the software doesn't
know how to toggle that pin using your cable or your cable doesn't have
that pin, you'll have to do a manual reset.  If the picture on the web
site is correct that board might not have the reset pin.

I'd search for plans on how to program a home brew Arduino board. That
should give you all you need to know about wiring to a non standard
serial cable.

I assume that the Arduino IDE doesn't really care if it's talking to
/dev/ttyUSB0 vs /dev/ttyS0.

Jim.