[ale] PATA to SATA adapters?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Jan 7 09:31:09 EST 2015

Does it specifically need to be a PATA to SATA adapter?
Could you use a PATA to USB adapter?
Maybe something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

It's $10 from Amazon with Prime shipping.  Granted, it's only USB2, not USB3.

-derek

On Wed, January 7, 2015 9:23 am, Pete Hardie wrote:
> I doubt I can fit the adapter into the ReplayTV case, so I'm looking at
> the
> adapter more to allow me to load the PATA drive from my more modern
> systems
> that
> have SATA controllers
>
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is PATA to SATA will give you significant speed increase or just
>> convinience of using HDD that are more common today?
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone had experience with such a device?  I have to replace a drive on
>>> my ReplayTV box, which uses IDE
>>> drives only, and while I have an old desktop which still uses PATA, I
>>> will probably forget this fact and toss it out at siome point.
>>>
>>> ​What I need to be able to do is load the IDE drive via dd, and if the
>>> SATA:PATA adapter allows that as if the drive be controlled via a
>>> PATA/IDE
>>> interface, I will get one.
>>>
>>> TIA for any info/advice​
>>>
>>> --
>>> Pete Hardie
>>> --------
>>> Better Living Through Bitmaps

> Pete Hardie
> --------
> Better Living Through Bitmaps

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745