[ale] All you Comcast fanboys...

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Jan 4 15:10:26 EST 2015

On 2015-01-04 11:56, LnxGnome wrote:
> On 1/2/15 7:46 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>>> Around 2008, AT*T came through my neighborhood and dug everything up
>>> for 2-3
>>> days to suppose u-verse.  Then they patted it all down so it was
>>> 5inches lower
>>> than before.
>>> Thanks guys. Now those areas all hold 2inches of water and don't
>>> drain. Nice.
>>>
>>> I've disconnected AT&T from my house completely. I recall the day I
>>> did that -
>>> felt really good.
>> If I could get away from all the insanity I would.  But, here, my choice
>> is either AT&T or Comcast so I'm sticking with AT&T.  No one here likes
>> Comcast, they all have trouble.
> I had AT&T at the house until 2000, in the form of two dial-up lines.
> They didn't offer any DSL until Oct 2000, which was a month before I
> moved to Tokyo.  Too little, too late.
>
> Just before Christmas, I went to a AT&T corp store to switch my number
> to a new phone, and a sales person offered me "a deal" on internet-only
> Uverse, $45/mo for ~15M.  That's about $10/mo less than I'm paying for
> the internet half of my double-play bundle, which is 50M (but usually
> gives me over 56M).
>
> When I moved back to the US in 2010, my sister had Uverse at the house
> (1970's subdivision in E.Cobb), and well, it sucked (slow and up/down
> often + expensive.)
>
> I tried to get Comcast Biz for months, and they kept telling me it was
> not available (after having someone come out and walk the line.)  I
> ended up ordering Residential service (installed two biz days later),
> and only occasionally (annually) regret it.  Whenever I talk to Comcast
> customer service (promos end, rate renewals, etc), they screw up
> something, and it takes me a month or two to get it fixed.  Ever since I
> ordered Residential, I constantly get snail mail offers to move to Biz.
>
> I've always had my own DOCCIS3 modem with Comcast.   The service itself
> has been really good for the past 4 years, just a little expensive.  The
> only thing really lacking for me are static IPs, and a reverse DNS entry
> for my domain.
>
> I haven't seen any big changes by either AT&T or Comcast (no digging,
> everything is on poles) in my neighborhood in four years, even though
> two new micro-subdivision have gone in nearby, in the place of big old
> homesteads.  Then again, we all still have septic tanks in our yards,
> and a lack of sidewalks.

The first service I had out here was Charter business but that was very
expensive about $250/month for 20/5 with one static IP, VoIP, and
business TV.  I could have dropped business TV and picked up residential
service with Charter, they didn't mind because it billed separately.
The difference was the channel lineup (residential is all entertainment,
movies, etc. and the business TV is most common channels and then mostly
news and finance channels but business TV only added $10 to the bill).

When I moved, I left Charter's service area and switched to Time Warner.
 They refused to give me TV unless I went residential but I wanted the
static IP so TV ended up coming from DirecTV instead.  Time Warner was
even more expensive than Charter.  My service was 25/5 with one static
IP and VoIP (no TV) for $220/month.  And I had all of their lovely
customer service and poor technical performance to go with that.

I moved again but was still in Time Warner's service area so I had them
reinstall since there were no other providers in the area (the
alternative was dial-up AT&T).  About three months later is when AT&T
finished the roll out of UVerse in that neighborhood.  Now I pay $120 a
month for 25/5 (usually ends up 30/10) and a block of five static IPs as
well as VoIP (I still have TV with DirecTV).