[ale] Ruby for sysadmins?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:20:26 EST 2015

Yes, sort of. I believe Chef's backend is going to Haskell and Puppet
is moving to Clojure. However, for the front in "make things work"
level they are both Ruby DSLs. One frustration is Puppet's "It's like
Ruby, except when it's not". There's some similarity and some gotchas
where things don't match up.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
> Aren't puppet and chef ruby based?  (dont quote me) That's the only reason I can
> think for why they'd way ruby.
>
> On 02/27/2015 11:01 AM, leam hall wrote:
>> Interestingly, the SRE job on the ALE-jobs list wants Ruby. I'm I
>> behind the curve? I've been learning it slowly but this is the first
>> time I recall seeing a job needing ruby.
>>
>> What are you all seeing?
>>
>> This comes at a time for me when work is doing a re-org. I may
>> continue to have a job. Either way it encourages me to look at what
>> I'm doing to keep myself hireable.
>>

> --
> Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
> servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.

Mind on a Mission