[ale] Freeradius, MSCHAP, and Active Directory

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 14:23:02 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM, James Taylor <
James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:

> Freeradius servers are more fun than I can stand most days, but I have
> gotten a couple of them working.

The documentation is abysmal. And they always say RTFM on the Freeradius
list. Annoying.

> I'm not sure what version of freeradius your using, but I see a couple of
> areas in my radius.conf that look relevant.

3.0.1

> Do you have this entry under the mschap section?
>

>                 with_ntdomain_hack = yes

That got deprecated in favor of the "realm ntdomain" config as far as I can
tell. So I don't have the hack enabled, but I do have:

```
ntlm_auth = "/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key
--username=%{%{mschap:User-Name}:-None}
--domain=%{%{mschap:NT-Domain}:-None}
--challenge=%{%{mschap:Challenge}:-00}
--nt-response=%{%{mschap:NT-Response}:-00}"
```

> And/or this entry further down?
>
>         #
>         #  'domain\user'
>         #
>         realm ntdomain {
>                 format = prefix
>                 delimiter = "\\"
>                 ignore_default = no
>                 ignore_null = no
>         }

In "mods-enabled/ream" it is defined as:

```
#
#  'domain\user'
#
realm ntdomain {
        format = prefix
        delimiter = "\\"
}
```

That's the default from the installed config.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)