[ale] New Build - Plex Server Transcoding - NAS

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Feb 26 10:14:51 EST 2015

So I'm replacing some components in my Plex Server / NAS to better support the
mandatory on-the-fly transcoding that a chromecast demands - why they don't
support AC3 audio, I don't know.  Plus the current AMD E-350 will be repurposed
as a pfSense machine.

So I'm looking at 2 different systems and would love some comments.

a) AMD-based $91 - passmark 2604
   GIGABYTE GA-AM1M-S2H Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
   AMD 5350 2.05Ghz Quad-Core Processor

b) Intel-based $126 - passmark 4028
   Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
   Pentium G3258 Processor - Haswell

For just a little more money, the Haswell CPU on the Intel is impressive. That
MB has display-port/TosLink too (it was more money) - but the AMD has a better
GPU. I don't game on PCs, so that isn't important to me.

A comparison site:
   http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentium-G3258-vs-AMD-Athlon-5350
Not really fair - but the Intel CPU is only $7 more cost, so it isn't THAT unfair.

There are some newegg combos that are amazing with the AMD board and AMD-5350:
* with 4G of RAM added for $117
* with Case $128
* w/ 1T WD-Blue $138

Didn't see any great combo deals on the Intel CPU, tho a few with SSDs and PC
games/AV were offered. BTW, I was initially looking at the G3220 GPU, but the
G3258 was a no-brainer.

Didn't want all the Raspberry Pi 2 people having all the cheap fun here. These
cheap machines (especially the AMDs!) are really impressive for many home uses.

I'm still checking on reported Linux issues with these ...

-- Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers,
and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.