[ale] kernels on centos

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Thu Feb 19 16:39:21 EST 2015

And now you know _why_ you inherited that box :-)

So grub is running it from a kernel that was parked somewhere. No big
matter. As it's a not grub2, go into /boot/grub and read the grub.conf
file for the location of that phantom kernel.

Note - all RHEL/CentOS 6.x kernel will be 2.6.32-X.Y.Z

Probably a good idea to not have the phantom kernel booting unless you
can find docs that explain why a non-vendor provided kernel is being
used.

Once you are on a "normal kernel", you can run
yum remove kernel-2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.x86_64

to free space in /boot for an upgrade kernel (latest is 2.6.32-504.8.1)