[ale] ot: rant ... just little :)

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 20:35:49 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 7:41 PM, Vernard Martin <vernard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/2015 3:51 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>
>> On 02/16/2015 12:42 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
>>
>>> Just read this on Linux news site ... Setting a static IP on Ubuntu: a
>>> beginner's guide
>>>
>>> Remember days when you had to open proper file and edit it to get
>>> connected. Do
>>> we teach good linux habits or thinking if you want with making things
>>> easy ...
>>> Using network manager for example
>>>
>>>  Uh - you can still edit the same file to get a static ip. The only thing
>> different from 15 yrs ago is resolvconf stuff for DNS has to be added
>> there too.
>> It is also safe to purge network manager from systems, if you like.
>>
>>  a LOT of things actually reinstall NetworkManager. I've found in
> general, its best to leave it there and just "chkconfig NetworkManager
> off". and of course, use a configuration management tool such as cfengine
> to make sure that it STAYS off.
>
> Can't tell you the number of times that has bitten me in the butt by
> getting RE-enabled by some app that reinstalls it.
>
> *grrrr*

I don't use Network Manager or YaST for that manner, I use cli and edit
files. I want to control it. What I hate, but I think I in the minority,
now the nic name.

Why was ethx so wrong? Why do we need to rename it en or p1px? I guess I am
getting old because if it not broken, that mess with it.

I personal don't like systemd, but I again Minority. Life was simple when
it was nics were ethx.

LOVE LIVE CLI, death to GUI.....

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

678 636 9678
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.