[ale] QCOW2 Performance?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Feb 11 15:52:03 EST 2015

QCOW2 Performance?

Does anyone have incite into the performance of qcow2 for kvm VMs on spinning
HDDs?

How much slower will they be than raw images is really my question.

I did some testing between vdmk, vdi and images on virtualbox a few years ago -
raw images were much faster.  Then last year, I tested VDI sparse, VDI
pre-allocated and QCOW to find that VDI had improved greatly and was within
5-10% of raw image performance. QCOW was 4x slower. Used the same spinning HDD,
no SSDs for the tests.

So, is qcow2 performance even close to raw images for spinning disks?

--
Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.