[ale] [ALE] Linux happy scanner with dual sided sheet feed?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Feb 7 11:25:30 EST 2015

I'm not certain how to properly research this for myself, and my efforts
to date haven't suggested anything intelligent. As the Subject: line
suggests - I want to locate, then own, a scanner which will scan both
sides of a sheet taken from a sheet feeder with the additional need of the
device being essentially plug & play in Linux (specifically Fedora 21
and/or Ubuntu 14.04).

Background information of sorts. I am an adjunct instructor in the
community college system who has had to switch community colleges in the
past year. Formerly, my students didn't whimper and whine about the
grading of their papers much. Certainly they would call me on errors and
question me when I was sadly unclear in my comments, which is good. This
new school, however, has fierce grade lawyers who will haggle, repeatedly
and continually or a point or two here and there with a desparation of the
Spartans at what ever pass they held so many centuries ago against the
Persians. These people make the pre-meds of years ago look good. I have
already gotten in trouble with one program head, although my chair is
completely supportive.

Best I can tell, the best defense here will be to retain copies of all of
their graded work. Since the accountants have driven us to double sided
documents when the school pays for it, I need to scan both sides of 5-10
page tests and shorter quizes. Being part time (no committees!), I don't
have school equipment, nor office, nor file space. Scanning is the only
recourse I see at this time. The last test would have represented a total
of 110 pages to be scanned. These pages would need bursting first,
scanning, then finishing up with reassembling each student's effort.

At this point, I'd prefer to limit ideas and such to scanners - but
brilliant ideas of a nontechnical nature will be entertained. (The idea of
going to 100% multiple guess of 50 question and not returning the papers
has occured to me. It is hard to complain under those conditions.)

As always - thank you for your assistance. And for those without interest
in this, thank you for the use of your bandwidth.