[ale] Fwd: Dell Continues Shipping Fresh Linux Laptops

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 06:41:14 EST 2015

On 02/03/2015 01:09 AM, Steve Nicholas wrote:
> OK, I had a Toshiba Satellite  that died an untimely death after 13
> months.  Bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series.  The 1GB is pegged
> with the OS and recovery partitions.  Have several external HDs and
> hopefully all of the backup stuff I need.  On the Toshiba, I had  a
> Fedora system running.  What I'd like to is put it on an external disk
> with the boot partition on hda1.  Anyone done this? I'm up for a
> repartition on the fly using win8. Just a bit nervous about blowing
> the Dell recover partition off. Thoughts, suggestions....
not sure exactly what you are asking... I have 2 working Dell laptops, 1
a very old XPS M-140 from 2005, still dual-booting linux / Windows XP.
Once you install grub & linux, you lose the capability of restoring
windows, so you either need a windows boot CD, or make an image of the
disk before you mess with it. In linux, when you connect an external
drive, it mounts it. if you look in /dev/disk/by-uuid ( ls-l
/dev/disk/by-uuid) you can see the new drive & UUID. Yo can put that in
/etc/fstab if you want to boot it..

--
Paul Cartwright