[ale] [OT] - Raspberry Pi 2

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Mon Feb 2 13:32:04 EST 2015

Hi Folks,

Please keep the conversation clean. We cannot be sure that language is
appropriate for all of our potential audiences on the list.

As for bulk sales, I know it can be a bit frustrating. However, with fab
lines running a half a billion bucks or more it is often not cost effective
to deal with organizations that cannot deliver orders in the millions. Or
to offer support to anyone other than those customers.

BAJ

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 12:57:18PM -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 12:16 -0500, dev null zero two wrote:
> > it's pretty neat, but it still has the same limitations as the
> > original: you can't buy the chip unless you're ....... Apple or Google
> > or NASA. you're stuck buying the boards so you can't build a product
> > around it. it's awesome for hobbyists though.
>
> Hmm. I _like_ ....... Apple and probably Google. Maybe I can qualify :-)
> NASA is (mostly) good folks so I'm OK with them getting a boxcar full.
>
> I've not looked to see if any of the large chip sellers carry it solo or
> not.
> >

> > definitely gonna pick up a few.
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Jim Kinney <jkinney at jimkinney.us>
> > wrote:
> >         hardware heads should be trouncing all over this this already
> >         but the
> >         RP2 is available today. It uses the same video as earlier but
> >         now has a
> >         quad-core arm7 cpu and 1G RAM.
> >
> >           !!!
> >
> >         Adafruit.com ($44.95) is slammed and sold out already.
> >
> >         The Raspberry Pi 2 delivers 6 times the processing capacity of
> >         previous
> >         models. This second generation Raspberry Pi has an upgraded
> >         Broadcom
> >         BCM2836 processor, which is a powerful ARM Cortex-A7 based
> >         quad-core
> >         processor that runs at 900MHz. The board also features an
> >         increase in
> >         memory capacity to 1Gbyte.
> >
> >               * Broadcom BCM2836 SoC
> >               * Quad-core ARM Cortex-A7
> >               * 900 MHz
> >               * Dual Core VideoCore IV® Multimedia Co-Processor
> >               * Provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG,
> >         and
> >                 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
> >               * Capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with
> >         texture
> >                 filtering and DMA infrastructure
> >               * 1GB LPDDR2
> >               * Boots from Micro SD card, running a version of the
> >         Linux
> >                 operating system 85 x 56 x 17mm
> >               * Micro USB socket 5V, 2A

> James P. Kinney III
>
> Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his
> own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>
> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/

Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff