[ale] Unable to mount disks with UUID

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Dec 15 21:48:27 EST 2015

Ok, I just had a machine crash and need a reboot.  When it came up it
was waiting for a password (so it sat all day waiting for me to get back
to find that) and then it proceeded to fail to mount any of the other
disks in the system because the UUIDs wouldn't work.  Running blkid on
the partitions shows the right UUID which matches what is in fstab but
didn't work.  Using the /dev/sdxy references worked fine so I switched
the fstab to use those but fstab will likely get rewritten by another
kernel update (like it did already) so I need to figure out why UUID
mounting is failing.

Anyone seen this before?  It also happened on another machine that I
refreshed recently.  It couldn't boot its own root partition and I had
to go in and fix the fstab to point to /dev/sdxy.