[ale] [OT] Helping others learn C, D, X, Y, Z, EIEIO...

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:44:42 EST 2015

Scott, et al,

So far I think we have 2-4 others interested, but the holiday season
may add or subtract from that. I'm hoping folks buy the book for
themselves as a Christmas present.

The book has fairly short chapters and a video for each chapter.
Except for the "Extra Credit" bits, the average Linux admin could read
and do a chapter in an hour, to include typing and watching the video.
That's not to say the learning will be deeply ingrained, but most all
chapters I've gone through so far (1-17) have a 20-90 line program to
type in and some information on what's happening.

The reason I wanted this book is so people could work on their own
schedule in a read and watch mode, and then we can help each other as
necessary. The tentative date for IRC is Tuesdays at 1900 Eastern, 5
Jan - 29 Mar.

The topics you mentioned are covered, I believe. Still, there's a lot
of room for growth in the individuals and I've started playing with
stuff just to see if I really "get" it.

Leam

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Scott M. Jones <eff at dragoncon.org> wrote:
> What is the plan for the first 90 days and who are the students besides
> you?  Are you just looking for occasional help and advice as you work
> through that book or something more like actual teaching?  How is this
> going to work?  Days and times?
>
> I'd have a hard time drawing up any complete list but I'd certainly want
> you to know all control forms (if, while, do, for, etc.), pointers,
> arrays, variables and types, malloc/free, and file I/O, to do anything I
> mentioned before.
>
> -Scott
>
> On 12/15/15 2:50 PM, leam hall wrote:
>> Scott, that does bring up a good point. Those of you offering advanced
>> mentoring may want to establish a minimal requirements list, or a way
>> to assess someone's skills before mutually committing time.
>>
>> I'd have no problem with you telling me I'm not ready, especially if
>> you could point out things I could do to get ready!

Mind on a Mission