[ale] home network monitoring

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Dec 11 12:59:33 EST 2015

On 12/11/2015 12:34 PM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> Yeah, ping tests are my plan for  DIY.  Do you know the names of any
> off-the-shelf tools for this?

In the old days, there was "big brother".  Simple service checks with a
dashboard webpage. Certainly there are forked projects - "big sister" perhaps?

Nagios is the most popular tool for this today, but ugly to setup on your own
without any background. Nagios can use SNMP, but I don't know how well cheap
home network equipment deals with that.

Munin is pretty easy to setup, plus it captures system stats locally and the
server will "pull" those when they are available again on the network.  I use
Munin here - the trick is to disable graph generation from constant to as requested.

Whenever I read stuff like this, makes me happy to have a dedicated pfsense box
for routing, so I don't have to constantly worry about cheap wifi routers
attempting to provide that. Then I'm able to use the cheapest wifi router/AP to
provide wifi access inside the LAN.  pfsense was forked a few years ago -
openSense might be interesting for some people here. Heard about it on F/LOSS
Weekly.

Alex - uh ... how did you get u-verse with static IPs?  I have a friend who was
able to do the same thing, but only because he works there as an architect and
knows the people who control that stuff.  He pretty much hates u-verse TV, but
hates Comcast even more.    er ... so I hear. ;)