[ale] Is it risky?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Aug 29 17:32:31 EDT 2015

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 13:37:17 -0400
Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wipe Windows if you don't have to keep it.

Not having Windows available effectively voids your warranty, because
you can no longer do the procedures outlined on the tech-support
drones' scripts.

I once had a battery go bad on a new box, and they wouldn't replace it
because I had no windows to do a test that determined whether the
battery was the cause or the effect. I had to get escalated up several
levels, by Costco's Concierge Service's intervention, to get a guy who
knew enough to tell me to put it in bios setup and pull the plug to see
whether it stopped, and when it is, they *finally* shipped my new
battery.

I'm thinking that on my next laptop, I'll swap in a blank drive and
keep the original until the warranty expires.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust