[ale] Desktop 32GB of RAM

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 13:34:08 EDT 2015

On 8/19/2015 8:04 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> I bought a 32G HP ZBook last year -- I expected to need it for multiple
> VMs.  Just peeked:  MemFree ~20G after 36 hours uptime and 2 background
> VMs.  Mind you, linux generally has little to no MemFree as it will be
> allocated to disk buffers.  So this represents memory that probably has
> never been allocated in a typical workday.
>
> I'd have been fine with 16G.  For now.

I received a 16GB HP Zbook which serves as my "laptop" at work and I
routinely have about 8 "headless" VMs running (i.e. no graphical
desktop) and i still have about 4GB of RAM free.  And i use chrome too.

No idea why you folks are having so much trouble with Chrome. Maybe I
scared it into submission with all the VMs? :)