[ale] Is it risky?

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:19:33 EDT 2015

On 08/29/2015 09:55 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 08/29/2015 09:36 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> I think the shim is the signed portion of the pre-boot loader.
> all I know is, I used to run fedora 22 on my OLD computer, and I had no
> shim, just grub2-mkconfig & grub2-install. now grub2-install is no
> longer used, a new program efibootmgr is, and shim is wedged in there
> somehow, but I have no instructions on shim..
> man shim
> No manual entry for shim

I recently set up a dual boot on an ASUS laptop with W8.1 installed
using Mint 17.2. I found that I had to go into the BIOS to get GRUB to
work. Unfortunately I forget the settings I had to change other than one
seemed oddly named.

Currently the laptop is being used by Swambo who normally uses Mint.

My opinion of the UEFI issue is that it is an admission by MS that
Windows is fundamentally flawed and they are unwilling/unable to fix the
flaws.