[ale] RasPI video play

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Aug 19 17:42:14 EDT 2015

Remember there are (now) four versions of the Pi 1:  A, A+, B and B+.
The A and B had issues with the polyfuse (corrected in the Plus version
of each and that design is carried over to the Pi 2) and the B and B+
both had the RAM doubled from 256MB to 512MB.  The A+ is the newest
addition which is the A coupled with the circuit enhancements from the
B+ (polyfuse, video out, more GPIO, etc.)

The B+ does pretty well and also has a boot switch that can boost the
power delivered to the USB ports.  The Pi 2 took all the circuit design
of the B+ and boosted the SoC and RAM (from single core 700MHz to
quad-core 900MHz).  The A was always a low power device meant for
battery powered embedded applications (e.g. robots) so the SoC was
clocked down considerably to achieve a total power dissipation of 1.5
Watts compared to the B+ 3.0 Watts and the Pi 2 at 4.0 Watts.