[ale] Monitor Internet Traffic

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 12 14:01:12 EDT 2015

I have a TP-LINK ADSL2+ dual-band wireless router. It offers me no features to monitor traffic. I'm thinking about buying a ADSL2+ bridge at Frys and then tapping the CAT-5 from it to the TP-LINK to sniff. Are there any good Linux packages to do this? Something I could run on the Pi2?

I'll use DHCP to statically assign each device in the house with an ip address. I will then look at traffic based on IP. I'm trying to get an idea of how much bandwidth we are using and when so that when I need it most I can throttle it down. I'll know where it is coming from.