[ale] CD -> MP3

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Fri Aug 7 17:00:59 EDT 2015

Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 11:03:04 AM, Phil wrote:

> +1 for Flac.  And as noted by others, you really need to keep the CDs.
> I put mine on the spindles that blank media were on.

Another +1 FLAC.  And using those spindles is a great idea; I use it as well.

> On 08/04/2015 05:31 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> Flac. No question. Flac. It is just storage. Anything less is lossy.

Exactly.

>> On 08/04/2015 05:23 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>>> These are ideas. I could recycle the cases and just store the CDs in
>>> sleeves.

As others have mentioned, your right to the music rests with ownership of that plastic disc.  BTW, format shifting is legal, though the RIAA claims it isn't. Unless there's a case that says it isn't, and there will never be such a case, or a law that says it isn't, and there will never be such a law, you have nothing to worry about when converting your music as long as you hold onto the discs and don't share your files.

One more thing: if you have "unlicensed" music on your computer, you can obtain a license by burning a CD-player compatible music disc. The CD-R on which this music needs to be burned must be a "music disc" (it will say on the label).  Like cassettes, the royalties (license) to the music is paid when the discs are purchased.  See https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/05/danger-mouse-inducem

Incidentally, if you own the rights to the music - as in you own the physical media - you can download different formats of your preference. It just isn't wise, since there are so many malwares floating about P2P.

Cheers,
R~

--
Best regards,