[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Dylan Northrup ale at doc-x.net
Thu Aug 6 10:42:33 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:

> Satellite 6 has standardized on Puppet... Eff Puppet. I'm going with
> Ansible.

I've found Puppet (and Chef) to be good for doing application
configuration and installation and Ansible to be good for systems
configuration.  Then again I use Ansible like "parallel ssh on
steroids" and Puppet/Chef for delivering versioned code for heavy
apps.  The former is awesome at updating all versions of
"/etc/resolv.conf" to point at the right thing (or distributing a
script to do that, running it, and removing the script afterward) and
the latter is good at verifying many, many files and replacing them if
necessary as well as templatizing config files, populating them with
params and verifying the parameterized config file hasn't changed from
run to run.

Different tools for different jobs.

--
Dylan Northrup
"Adversity is just change we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."