[ale] Ruby vs C, a non-technical chat

Darrell Golliher darrell at golliher.net
Thu Aug 6 08:08:09 EDT 2015

Leam,  you mentioned fun in your criteria.  I like that.    The most fun I’ve had programming lately has been in Go.   pro-tip for googling it is is to use “golang”   https://golang.org     I’ve done basic, pascal, modular-2, assembly, C, C++, Perl, Python, Javascript and probably a few others I’ve forgotten.     Go rocks.

I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it from a career path perspective, but there are some signs it could prove

marketable, maybe.    Docker is built with it for example.  Digital Ocean seems to use it a lot too.

Here’s a list of companies..  https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/GoUsers

Maybe it’s never be more than a niche language — I can’t predict the future on that one.  I hear good things about Rust and with Apple’s Swift being open sourced it has a shot a being generally useful too.     Javascript has even gotten more interesting with the rise of the node, express and angular (aka. MEAN stack when you add mongoldb).

Anyway.. I digress.  I was trying to plug Go. :-)

cheers,

Darrell

—http://golliher.net