[ale] [Fwd: Advertising on ale.org]

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 5 23:23:15 EDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 17:48 -0400, Michael Still wrote:
> Well something that should be considered is where does the revenue go
> that is generated from the ads? Jim's paypal account? Cover some kind
> of overhead? AFAIK there is no legal entity for ALE and in order to
> receive ad revenue this would have to be figured out.
>
> I'd say it's not worth the time right now to bother with this myself.
Two (elected) persons can do it, so long as records are publicly kept
and auditable by the rest of the group, electronically, on demand.
An instance of SQL-Ledger or GNUcash would suffice for keeping the
group's books and records.
The disincentive to cheat comes from the fact that theft is not only
answerable by criminal charges, but civil ones.  And it's better for
the group not to be a disjoint legal entity in that event, since then a
lawyer would be required to handle the civil case, even if it were only
for a minor amount.
The question would be, would we be alright with having representatives
to handle the money?  I cannot speak for the group as a whole, but I
doubt very much that the entire group could reach consensus rapidly on
any topic, finances being no exception to that.  :-)
	— Mike