[ale] Curious video boot problem.

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Wed Aug 5 11:35:23 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 06:56:13PM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
>    According to section 3.7.3 (p. 67)[1], no video attached should be
>    supported. Since it isn't booting with only the on board (CPU) video,
>    I'd say you're looking at a support call.

I got a bit of a different effect after trying without any monitor at all.
In the BIOS all of a sudden the Internal Video showed up in the settings
with options to make it primary and to always enable or disable.

Unfortunately still no joy. With every possible combination of primary or
not, enabled or not, monitor connector or not, there is still no boot
without the external card attached. It boots in every combination with the
external card attached.

Something else in the document leads me to belive that it may be a EDID
problem. It points out that EDID is used to set the video modes. I was
testing with an old monitor. I tried with a newer Acer P235H, but still no
luck.

BAJ

>    [1]
>    -- [1]http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20717/eng/D2500HN_TechProdSpec05.
>    pdf
>    On Monday, August 3, 2015, Byron Jeff <[2]byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu>
>    wrote:
>
>      On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 03:57:13PM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
>      >    Sounds to me like it's the BIOS that is hanging on video init.
>      A PC
>      >    speaker may help verify.
>      I put on a piezo speaker to hear the beeps. When the external card
>      is
>      pulled, the POST gives no beeps whatsoever. And the beeing for the
>      post
>      works, because if you pull the RAM from the board, it beeps the "No
>      RAM"
>      song.
>
>    --
>
>    James Sumners
>    [3]http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
>    [4]http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
>    [5]http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (band page)
>
> References
>
>    1. http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20717/eng/D2500HN_TechProdSpec05.pdf
>    2. javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu');
>    3. http://james.sumners.info/
>    4. http://jrfom.com/
>    5. http://haplo.bandcamp.com/

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff