[ale] Changing Linux

David Jackson deepbsd at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 14:21:47 EDT 2014

Hi guys.

So, not to start a holy war or anything, but how does the notion of systemd and journald startups reconcile with the long-standing UNIX tradition of simplicity and high reliability?  Of using simple text files and daemons that can die or hang without bringing down the entire system?

Mind you, I'm just coming back to Linux after a long lay off, so I've missed a lot of these discussions that you all probably have been having over these years.  If Debian is using systemd now, and they're still as "free" and "traditional" as they always were, I must be missing quite a bit by parachuting into the middle of all this.  BTW, I'm not finding systemd on my Slackware 14.1 system.

Any thoughts?

Dave