[ale] ALE-NW InstallFest Report

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Sep 23 17:48:54 EDT 2014

Thanks to all the volunteers who showed up on a beautiful Saturday to help out.
There were 15-20 volunteers throughout the day.  I hope it was a party for you!
 Most of the time, folks seemed to be having a good time.

We tried to install 9 systems and failed on 1 due to keyboard issues according
to the report forms.

ALE-NW InstallFest Summary
======================
3 - Ubuntu/Kubuntu/other variant
2 - CentOS
1 - Fedora
1 - OpenSUSE
3 - Unclear based on the report data

======================
CPUs
4 - Core i5/i7
1 - Core2 Duo
4 - unknown CPUs

======================
Install Type
6 - Virtualized (virtualbox or VMware Workstation)
2 - full install (wipe)
1 - failed full install attempt

======================
RAM

2 - 16G
1 - 8G
1 - 6G
2 - 4G
1 - 1G
2 - unknown

======================
Doing It Better Next Year

It appeared that everyone had a great time - well, except the failed
installation where we couldn't get into the BIOS to enable legacy USB mode for
the keyboard.

We can definitely improve with better/more communication. I was humbled to see
so many people come out to help.  Anyone want a donut?

I'd love to hear from each volunteer with their ideas to do it better.  Please
post here to get the ideas flowing ... but if you prefer, send an email offline.

Of course, to do things better, we need volunteers to carry out these
forthcoming brilliant ideas.  I'd like to end up with stuff that we can share
around the world to make all Installfests more organized - not just Linux, but
for other projects like Wordpress, Ruby-on-Rails, Perl Catalyst/Dancer, Drupal,
Alfresco, Zimbra, and especially MythTV - anything that is non-trivial to get
working.

Ideas?