[ale] systemd or not- *BSD

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 11:33:08 EDT 2014

On 09/09/2014 10:37 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> a zillion years ago I tried E??. It took a month of Sundays to build
> and then I had to configure every single thing manually. It was pretty
> to look at and quite fast to use but the setup was a pain.
>
> Haven't done a *BSD in a very long time (10 years?).

 I was also reading something about a split for linux OSes, one for
desktop, the other for server.. I think *BSD falls under the server
category.. really not even close to ready for prime time desktop.. I
joined a BSD mailing list once, asked a newbie question. got slapped
around pretty bad & told to read the numerous man pages.. blew that away
& reinstalled linux.

as a user, I'm not sure I have an opinion of systemd. nothing about it
showed up in my installation ( fedora 20 amd_64) and things just work.
as an administrator, changing something I used for 20 years is always a
challenge.

--
Paul Cartwright