[ale] audio blues

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 16:02:48 EDT 2014

Loaded up a live CD of CentOS/KDE.

Couldn't even get the system bell to make a sound.  CD does not load
ALSA.

So, back to Square One.  Downloaded Amarok, and tried that. 99% works.
Still some very minor cracks and pops, but I easily can tell the
difference between the clarinet and the oboe.  I have no clue why other
audio players, including KMix, Dragon Player, and VLC media player
produce crappy sound while Amarok seems to work. I kinda assumed that
underneath the various GUIs they were all using the same libraries.

Whatever.

Problem seems to be solved -- without needing yet another piece of
hardware.

Sean