[ale] systemd or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Sep 6 14:26:30 EDT 2014

On 09/05/2014 12:23 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> Is there anywhere that actually provides a coherent technical argument for
> why systemd is bad?  So far the complaints I've found online are "I'll need
> to learn something new", "it's bloated" (ok, true, but so is so much of our
> software these days), and "don't fix what isn't broken."  (Except, to some
> people, the status quo is broken.)

The best I've seen is Debian's analysis:

https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/docs/systemd-dependencies.html

That covers systemd 204; we're up to 216 now, but as the README shows
(and as can be confirmed as indicated in my previous post), systemd
really only needs 4 dependencies, so a complete, working, barebones
Linux command-line system (with just the root user) is possible in 5
packages.

Want multiple users? OK, add PAM. Rebuild systemd and busybox. Done.

Not bad at all. Want to bootstrap a distribution yourself because you
need something TINY? Systemd becomes your best friend. Especially on
"semiembeddeds" like the Rπ.

— Mike