[ale] systemd or not

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Sep 6 14:22:12 EDT 2014

On 09/05/2014 10:48 AM, James Sumners wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Michael Trausch<mike at trausch.us>  wrote:
>
>> >Will explain later---but you WANT systemd. Really. It's much, MUCH more
>> >efficient. And allows you to have a 4 package system, essentially. And
>> >makes a lot of sense to work with once you get to know it well.
>> >
> No, I don't. Writing a sysvinit script is easy and it stays out of the way.
Writing a Service unit file is easier, and controlling processes is
simpler. How is systemd "in the way"?

For lightdm:

[Unit]
Description=Light Display Manager
Documentation=man:lightdm(1)
Conflicts=getty at tty1.service
After=systemd-user-sessions.service getty at tty1.service plymouth-quit.service livesys-late.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/lightdm
Restart=always
IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
BusName=org.freedesktop.DisplayManager

[Install]
Alias=display-manager.service

To disable it say "systemctl disable display-manager". To enable it
again, say "systemctl enable display-manager". Want to change the
display manager? Copy to "/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service",
use your own ExecStart= line and you're done. Simple, easy configuration
overrides which can be also easily automated and mass-deployed.

To any distribution which uses systemd. Without having to worry about
system specifics; that's what package managers are for.

— Mike