[ale] systemd or not

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:27:12 EDT 2014

The issue is that people who work in enterprises have to support more
than one OS. I just complained about this on a RH list for the same
reason. Solaris SMF is in the same trash pile.

The chkconfig stuff was great in that it gave you an interface to
standard init scripts. If you have application dependencies they need
to be in the application scripts, not at the OS's level of control.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 01:06:47PM +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
>> RHEL7 also uses systemd.
>>
>> From everything I've seen systemd is the way the Linux world has been
>> going for a while now so fighting it is a losing battle.
>
> The oft-unmentioned reason the Linux world is moving there is that under
> any *objective* measure, systemd is vastly superior to what it's
> replacing.
>
> (But hey, it's far easier to just complain on the internet than it is to
>  actually do useful work towards solving the problem.  That's the real
>  reason ConsoleKit remains unmaintained to this day...)
>
>  - Solomon
> --
> Solomon Peachy                         pizza at shaftnet dot org
> Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^
> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Mind on a Mission