[ale] OT: mini PC

Byron Jeff byronjeff at mail.clayton.edu
Thu Sep 4 11:52:25 EDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 08:38:54AM -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Cool! That has Linux thin-client written all over it. 32G storage is enough
> to hold local OS and X for an X2Go connection to a main server.

One big downfall and one big question on this one.

Downfall: USB 2.0 is a non starter. While EMMC is good, USB 3.0 is really
needed to get decent connectivity to external drives if the goal is to use
this as a slient server.

Question: Is there accelerated graphics drivers for anything other than
Android 4.4?

As for the 'PC' designation, it isn't a trademark. Anything can call itself
a PC. In its most generic configuration, any box that can be used as a
Personal Computer and has the ability to boot an OS in any fashing really
can be considered a PC.

BAJ

> On Sep 4, 2014 7:53 AM, "Boris Borisov" <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > http://linuxgizmos.com/android-4-4-mini-pc-packs-64-bit-quad-core-atom-punch/
> >
> > Is this kind of devices can be named PC. PC for me have BIOS that loads the
> > first sector of boot device which takes over. These devices are having
> > uboot for boot loader that loads Linux kernel primarily so is very custom.

Byron A. Jeff
Chair: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff