[ale] Living without a data plan how feasible is it

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 09:28:22 EDT 2014

I'll have to google LTE but  IIRC, a friend of my was poking around on
my phone, trying to enable that, and couldn't do it. I mentioned that
I'm blind so a friend took my phone while we were out to lunch and
started checking to see if he could enable anything that might help me
make better use of it. He spent a considerable amount of time trying to
fix something with the data connection. He finally gave up. I didn't
really pay any attention though because the only time I use my data plan
is when I'm lost. The map app queries Apple's map data to figure out
where I am.

The original topic is living w/o a data plan. I get lost too often not
to have live map data but that seems to use kilobypes, not gigabytes.
Howerver, if you  don't have a data plan, you can still use the GPS on
your iPhone with Navigon from Garment. It's $40 and comes with
downloadable map data. I used it for years on an iPod Touch with a
bluetooth GPS receiver.  There were plenty of instances when I was the
only person in a group who could get directions because we happened to
be somewhere where nobody could get a data connection.