[ale] Have a hardware question on no POST

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Oct 21 11:25:10 EDT 2014

I had an onboard sata controller fry on a pc awhile back. I went through a power supply and two sata drives before I figured it out.
The bad drive caused the same symptoms as the bad controller, so I chased my tail for a while.
You might want to check the drive in another machine to make sure it's not bad. I might recommend using a USB adapter to protect your pc hardware, just in case.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> 10/21/2014 10:20 AM >>>
My wife's computer, one I repurposed a few months back, "exploded" to
hear her tell it.  I'm guessing a cap exploded.  The PS was shot and
that was confirmed by a local PC shop.  I bought a new one and installed
it.  Nothing happened, so I figured the motherboard took a spike also.
I ordered a new motherboard, cpu and memory and installed it.  As my
normal procedure, I didn't plug the graphics card in, since it had
onboard video.  I did plug the DVD player and the front panel connections.

After pushing the power button on the front panel, the fans come on, the
lights light but no output on the monitor.  No POST.

Other than purchasing another cpu and replacing the cpu and then if that
didn't fix it replace the motherboard and if that didn't fix it.  Kick
my self for spending more for bad parts than I could have bought a good
refurb'ed unit.

So any suggestions of what I might try without spending any more money?
This is a Linux only box.  I've weaned her off of M$.

Jim.