[ale] Living without a data plan how feasible is it

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Oct 17 10:19:02 EDT 2014

On 10/17/2014 08:42 AM, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> +1 for T-Mobile.  Buy your phone used on swappa (http://swappa.com ).  A BYOD
> no-contract plan is currently $68 a month with 3 GB of data.

t-mobile has daily unlimited plans for pay-as-you-go people for either $2/day or
$3/day for 3G. These have unlimited talk+text+data (though 2G data is limiting
and non-secure alone).  If you don't need the phone too much, enabling that from
the normal P-A-Y-G plan can save $$$hundreds yearly.  If you have wifi
everywhere, do you really **need** data when around ATL?

On travel, I enable 2G t-mobile for the 7 days I need it. $14 - not bad. In a
new city or one I haven't been in recently, it is convenient and saves hassles.

Paying 10x more for convenience has always been the way of the world. No
different with cell phones, just like getting a 7-Eleven candy bar is more
expensive than walmart or a beer at the GA-Dome.

Of course, some people need the "status" for their jobs and I completely
understand that. After all, if you can't afford $1200/yr for a family cell phone
plan, why should I let you install and configure $4M worth of equipment into my
business?