[ale] Belay that, OT, jre7u71 winXP won't install/update

Ken Cochran kwc at shell.TheWorld.com
Fri Oct 17 02:35:54 EDT 2014

Well, I don't realy think XP {shrug}, but CE is a possibility.
OTOH, with the exception of a pretty simple OBD scanner for
OSX, I've never seen a computer-based car scanner, that was
not deployed on (what appears to be *stock*) XP.  Either it's
a notebook or it's a touch-screen ruggedized thing, either
hand-held or 2-hand-held.  The main one I know of is from
a well-known German maker & it costs around $21k - for an
IBM notebook running XP, an interface converter box, and the
software itself.  The ones I've seen from professional tool
companies run in the mid-teens, depending on vehicle make/model
specific modules/support.

Which brings me to an update on my original question.
Looks like my trusty old crufty IBM T41 has been stolen (like
someone thinks it'll bring anything at all at a pawn shop
or such) and <hair shirt> as I need a 'dows box (only from
time to time), I could use a suggestion/recommendation as to
just what </hair shirt>.  Prefer factory-refurb.  I remember
reading here that Sony and Toshiba are to be avoided due to
driver support flakiness.  (Always heard Toshiba was 'bout
the last remaining "good" one.)  I could care less about some
high-performance game box but I do need reliability, stability,
ease of service/parts availability, etc.  In other words,
reliability & serviceability over fancy features/multimedia.
And of course, playing nicely with the likes of Linux or *BSD.
Oh, and Doesn't Suck(tm) :)  Now, off to have a good barf...
Thanks, -kc