[ale] Richard Stallman at the University of Georgia

David Millians millia at panix.com
Thu Oct 16 09:52:17 EDT 2014

On 10/15/2014 11:51 AM, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> Richard Stallman at the University of Georgia Chapel in Athens last
> night was awesome.  <snip>

Yes, it was.

> Stallman, feisty as ever, talked for almost an hour and a half about how
> proprietary software enables mass surveillance on a scale never dreamed
> of by the great tyrants of the past.  It was thought-provoking, not to
> mention refreshing to see someone who honestly tries to live by the
> principles he professes. <snip>

One thing was abundantly clear: I can't imagine how much more widespread
adoption would be if he didn't come off a crank. I mean this in the best
possible way- it's not a 'bless his heart.' He is not the most gifted of
speakers, and he's got the hard core geek quirks things going on. But I
do bless him for pushing, pushing, pushing. We are in a better place
because of him, but if he had an Aaron to his Moses, well.

> The Q/A period had some fireworks between students and Stallman, as well
> as some other general rowdiness and applause and some genuinely
> interesting responses.  "The long term choice is not between proprietary
> software and no software. The long term choice is between proprietary
> software and free software."
> The whole thing didn't break up 'til almost 23:00. I got a wonderful mug
> decorated with common Emacs commands, signed by the Great Man himself.

Had to leave about 10 since it was server maint time! Drat. Sadly missed
the fireworks. I was almost tempted to tell him I'd be happy to write
documentation if they'd just put all the info back in man pages instead
of that abomination they prefer. Given how he said he wants doc writers
so bad, I may do some anyway. Lord knows I am of the firm opinion that
millions of hours would be saved with more examples at the bottom of man
pages.

> All in all, a most worthwhile trip, even though I got to bed around
> 00:30 this morning.

Now you feel like all those from Athens feel when we have to go to
Atlanta. w00t! ;)

Didja notice the largest painting in the western hemisphere, at one
point, behind him?
David